Saturday, May 12, 2007

Go figure...

I have so many things buzzing around in this confused mind of mine, but I will get started and see where we wind up!

First of all, the very person who set me up with a blog cannot seem to comment on that blog at present. She says she tries and tries, both on her lap top and on other computers, and cannot publish her comment. As she is my daughter, that distresses both of us! Any ideas?

When I can't do something I just figure it's because I'm old and not part of this computer generation, but when someone younger has trouble it blows me away. Actually, it's somewhat reassuring... I'm not the only one, etc., etc. If any of you have any idea what the problem might be, let us know.

Ok. Then the idea of getting to know someone as an internet friend. This has several layers of interest for me. I think a person projects part of ones personality in cyberspace that is difficult to share person to person. One has the opportunity to "talk" at length as well as the freedom to delete something that seems inappropriate or boring. (well, some of you might argue about both of those, but that's what I think, anyway.)

When Izzy was home over Christmas I saw him for a split second in the narthex of the church. He's this hulking hunk of young man and I'm this little old lady. There we were surrounded by the rest of humanity wondering how to relate to one another. It was awkward, I thought. In cyberspace the awkwardness disappears somehow and we are equals. Why is it? It's a little like reading a book that was written by someone in the last century and relating totally to it even though in person we would be so different as to make any sort of social relationship almost impossible. Now, I think that if Izzy and I could go have a cup of coffee and get started talking to one another we could relate perfectly well. Do you drink coffee, Izzy, or maybe a coke would be better. That seems to be a universally acceptable drink. I would have to have diet, though, because of the diabetes!

I have to run. Time for the Mother/Daughter doings at church. My daughter cannot be here for the occasion so I am borrowing Hannah's mom as my daughter. Life can be so complicated. Happy Mother's Day. Take care.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I hope this will get to you. I like the comment about cyberspace giving you a persona probably not available in person. I will have to call Naomi and see how she is. Love, Fran.

Unknown said...

Happy Mother's Day!

Izzy said...

i'm not a big coffee drinker, but i would definitely be up for a coke! thanks for being my cyber buddy!

isaac

p.s. Happy Mother's Day! I just got off the phone with my ma...aww! I feel all warm and happy now!

Anonymous said...

Hey Vicki!

You can borrow Hannah's mom anytime. I'm sure Hannah won't mind a bit!

Well, I have property taxes to pay today. Yeehaw!

bananafish said...

Okay, I think I figured out the problem! I have tried so many times, but I think it will now work! is that my BROTHER that commented on your blog? wow. also I wrote a new blog-boring but new. love you ma