Tuesday, May 08, 2007

The Martins are Back!!!



Okay. I now have faith that the picture I chose will magically appear after i post this blog!

Yesterday there was rejoicing in the Larson household because the Martins came back. They fly here from Brazil in the spring and fly back to Brazil in the fall. Wow. They are very late this year... about three weeks late. We were quite worried they were not coming, but juat a few are here, and we hope more will arrive. I love their swooping and their ownership of the house George rehabs for them each year. The sparrows attempt ownership, but when the martins come, the sparrows have to make room for them. The starlings attempt to disrupt things, but they never seem to succeed. The martins reign supreme.

I imagine one of the reasons we particularly enjoy their appearance is that we lived in Brazil for a short time and realize how far away that really is. The fact that they can fly such a distance is awesome. We would really know we were in cosmic trouble if they didn't arrive. I wonder what made them late this year? All the talk about global warming makes me appreciate each natural event more than I ever did before.

Take care.

3 comments:

Izzy said...

about your blog posting: have you been posting in the HTML tab? Is that what that gobbledegook is? If you can't see the pictures that you add before you actually post your blog, then i think that is the problem. You should try to switch to Layout Mode of View Mode. There should be a tab for it (to the left of the HTML tab)! Does that make sense? Just go post something and then look around for 2 tabs...one of them the HTML tab, the other is the tab you want to work in.

I am just guessing that might be why you are seeing some strange things while you post and that might be a reason why you can't see your pictures until you actually post what you are working on.

hope that helps,
isaac

Izzy said...

sorry, i meant to say the tab you want is to the right of the HTML tab

Anonymous said...

I have to comment on the horse head that Izzy has on...I really like that! I can picture you wearing that too Vicki! Couldn't we have fun with that here at excercise? I enlarged the picture of it and it is quite interesting!