Tuesday, March 07, 2006

Books are the Best


This is a rather blurry image of a painting I did on commission. It is one of three in that series in my love affair with pears.

I stayed up until 4 last night finishing a book. I am an avid reader, but I haven't done that for a while. The first book I stayed up all night to read was "Beau Geste." I still have that book. It is now 60 years old. I remember pretending to have fallen asleep with the light on and the book on my breast. My brother Bud, who was getting ready to go on his early Sunday morning paper route, was attracted by my lamp, softly tip-toed into my room, tenderly turned off the light, took off my glasses and put my book on the bedside table. He was so sweet but I still remember the feeling of wanting to say "boo" to scare him. I resisted the impulse and played possum.

Today I go to Battle Lake to the board meeting of my art group. That is always fun and invigorating. A feisty bunch. Then I am taking two quilt tops to a shop to investigate getting them quilted. That is the labor of love that I have written about before, the pieces of our nephew Peter's Indonesian shirts that I made into tops for quilts for his two children.

Now it will be to decide how they should be quilted. Decisions, decisions! I have previously hand quilted four quilts. As I finished the last of the four I made a decision never to hand quilt another quilt. I am sticking to that decision and taking the tops to a professional machine quilter. Machine quilting makes a stronger quilt and is a whole lot easier on the finger tips.

Take care and have a wonderful Tuesday!

No comments: