Thursday, March 16, 2006

Books are the Best

Today is my book club. We meet about every month. We choose the book for the next meeting and then find the book and read it. We discuss the book at the next meeting. But we discuss so much more than books at our meetings. The books are really only a spring board to a far ranging discussion of our lives and current events. We are very close friends. Intimate friends, I might say. One of our group does not have e-mail. We keep trying desperately to convert her to being a computer-user, but so far have been unsuccessful. We will try again today!

I have been retired now for about seven years. The truism that you become more busy after retirement has become somewhat true for me. My calendar fills up fast. The difference is that I don't have to go to work every morning come rain or come shine. I can lollygag around most mornings, and if I have a cold I can just hit the deck and not go to the myriad activities planned. I soon recover and can get back on the merry go round. I can also pick and choose the activities in which I wish to participate.

I signed up for the belly dancing class and paid my money. Now I look at my calendar and realize that one of the evenings I have the annual poetry night down town at the Coffeehouse Art Center. It is the ninth annual such event and oodles of fun. I haven't written my poem yet. I want to shine up one I am working on about my propensity for falling. I will keep you informed. On that same day I have an art workshop during the day for which I am the contact person. So you can see the kinds of conflicts that afflict the retired.

I'm off to my book club.

1 comment:

Izzy said...

can you suggest any good books? i have a huge stack on my "to read" list, but i am always open for bypassing that list with especially good ones. lately, i have been reading "interpreter of maladies" and some humor writing by dave barry. "dave barry does japan" is hilarious, especially readint it while in japan. ok, i look forward to hearing about your belly-dancing experience!

isaac