Friday, March 17, 2006

St. Pat's Day

Ah, yes, green. I was going out today wearing a blindingly green sweater even though I am of 100% Norwegian ancestry, but I awoke with a bad sore throat. I am going to hit the deck and try to recover good health. That is the great thing about being retired. I don't HAVE to go to work unless I want to.

At book club yesterday the hostess served a wonderful egg dish which I will pass along to you:

IMPOSSIBLE BRUNCH PIE

1 10 oz pkg. of either frozen broccoli, spinach or asparagus, chopped - 1 cup sour cream - 1 cup cottage cheese, creamed - 1/2 cup Bisquick - 1/4 c. margarine, melted - 2 eggs - 1 tomato, peeled and thinly sliced - 1/4 cup parmesan cheese grated - 4 slices bacon.

Heat oven to 350 degrees. Grease 10 inch pie plate to spread broccoli (or spinach or asparagus) in bottom. Blend next 5 ingredients for 1 minute. Brown bacon and crumble over broccoli. Pour blended mixture over bacon. Top with bacon and parmesan cheese. Bake about 35 minutes. Cool 5 minutes.

Now, Izzy, you will have the fun (if you are planning to make this marvelous gustatory delight) of trying to figure out the equivalent things in Japanese stuff. Not easy. Maybe you can print it out and wait until you get home. I wish you were here right now and I would make it for you. Although it sounds as though you are getting fed well there!

I tried to think of books that you would like. Give me some sort of hint of the kind of books you have read. My taste as a 75 year old woman won't necessarily help you out.. but I could try if I once got on the trail of what kind of thing you have been reading or like to read. I LOVE TO READ. It has gotten me through many a hard time. I love to read mysteries. Do you think you would like them? I have some favorites I could recommend. Fill me in.

I went shopping yesterday at Herberger's as they had one of their fantastic sales. I got two jackets that I love. Wow. While I was in California I watched lots of the cable shows about how people dress and then their friends would "out" them as awful slobs and someone would give them a make over, etc., etc. So I thought I better get busy to improve my look before my friends got fired up enough to embarrass me in front of the whole USA.

It is beyond my comprehension how people come on Dr. Phil or Oprah or (worst of all) The Jerry Springer Show and let everyone in on their deepest and darkest secrets. What is it? Hunger for a little doubtful fame, or just desperation to get help no matter what? I'm way too Norwegian for all that sharing, thank you very much. Of course, I don't think I have any deep dark secrets, either. I could make one up just to get on a show, I suppose, but it would be embarrassing when they did some homework and discovered I was just lieing. I am cursed with mediocrity. Or blessed. It all depends on the point of view.

Enough dithering on. Happy Green Day. Look back two postings or so to see the green hornet. Now he makes for a Happy Green Day.

1 comment:

Izzy said...

hey vicki!

Bon Appetit! wow, the impossible brunch pie sounds very tempting right now. ah, comfort type foods are very much missed when living away from home (i.e. the US). breakfast foods are very sketchy in japan....my taste buds haven't adapted to the fish and seaweed entree with the onion salad and fermented beans with rice. it's too salty for the a.m.

about reading, i like the really good classics, but generally not the books that go into pain-staking descriptions of an item for 5 pages at a time. lately i have been interested in travelling and books that tie in a culture from a different country (i.e. white teeth by zadie smith and the kite runner by some man). i have been trying to start ayn rand's "atlas shrugged" but i don't know if i am ready for that 1200 page, small-font behemoth.

gosh, i guess i don't know how to characterize my reading tastes. sometimes i like reading books that have a little different (more contemporary, free-flowing) writing-style about them, like "you shall know our velocity" by dave eggers.

overall, i am open for anything. what are some of your favorite books? do you enjoy the classics or the obscure ones that you find sitting under of pile of magazines on your coffee table? lately i haven't been reading much because i have been concentrating on studying for japanese....i better get back on the ball.

thanks for any insights, vicki. tell george hi (or konnichiwa) and be sure to enjoy all your choices you have at the supermarket and for breakfast!

izzy

p.s. sorry this is so long.