Tuesday, April 04, 2006

Sigh

Another day when the blog is refusing to put up a picture. Oh, well.

I have a very busy day ahead of me. Lots of errands and meetings and fun during the day. In the evening we are meeting a group of friends for supper (dinner?) and then to a special presentation of the Gospel of Mark at the Center for the Arts in Fergus Falls. I will tell you the particulars of the presentation tomorrow.

It is so nice to feel well again. YES.

I am preparing a talk for the Art of the Lakes meeting on the 18th of April. I love giving talks about artists I am crazy about. This time it will be about May Stevens. I was fortunate enough to realize she was going to be at the Minneapolis Institute of Art last May with a speech and a show of her art. The title of her talk," The Water Remembers" caught my fancy when I saw it in the monthly magazine of the MIA, so I went to stay with Naomi and to the talk and the show. I was completely blown away by her and her paintings. She's 80 and still going strong. YES. I love the example. Now the trick is to give a talk that does her paintings justice and gives just a flavor of who the woman is. She is an activist, feminist and a painter. Does wonderful writing as well as very strong painting. If you're in New York, there is a lot of her work at the Mary Ryan Gallery there.

I will no doubt be giving you tidbits about the woman as the days go on, but I'll try not to do more than that! If you're in Battle Lake on the 18th, come to my talk. 1 pm. Yousah.

Well, off to my breakfast and my day. Izzy is reading a book by jhumpa lahiri. Is that an Indian name? And the title of the book is "The Namesake." Interesting. Talk to ya tomorrow.

1 comment:

Izzy said...

yeah...the book is about a name. a strange one at that. she adapted the story from her own life. jhumpa lahiri's real name is Nilanjana Sudeshna, but she goes by her nickname jhumpa. she writes about americans of bengali and indian descent in most of her stories. check it out.
isaac
p.s. i heard they are making "the namesake" into a movie that will be released this year. we'll see.