Saturday, May 20, 2006

Blind Luck

This morning as I rolled out of bed and made the obligatory stab for my eyeglasses, disaster struck. The right lens fell out and I realized that the tiny screw that holds it in place was missing. I can see practically nothing because of a serious case of astigmatism. If I lived alone I would be done for. I couldn't drive, I couldn't read, and I surely couldn't fix my glasses. Of course, it is also Saturday and my eye doctor is not open. I would have to really scramble to find help.. and I have a full schedule today that calls for driving and doing. Whoa. Not good.

Luckily, I do not live alone and I'm married to one of the premier handy men in the world. He got out his small screw driver kit and an extra screw, and proceeded to fix my glasses. Definitely an appreciated act. I will gingerly proceed through my day, always conscious of the temporariness of the fix, but very grateful for it. Hopefully I can make it until Monday, when I will seek the people who specialize in the art of eye glass repair. I should, of course, have two pair. The high cost of glasses precludes that idea. When I need a new pair, I only get the new lenses and hang onto the frames until they are so hopelessly out of date I get REALLY embarrassed, or they bite the dust and are no longer usable.

I remember back when my glasses were really THICK. I have an old pair that manifests that characteristic. They must have manufactured some other material that magically could do the same thing but remain thin. A great boon to the looks of the glasses! I suppose I could have the magic lazer surgery and abandon glasses altogether. I have been wearing them since I was eight years old, however, and realize that the looks of the glasses are a part of me to me. I don't really like the idea, either, of trusting my eyes to the proverbial "knife." It would probably go fine, but what if it didn't? I think I will just go on with my limited vision for the time being. Perhaps some future event will convince me I need help with surgery, but for the present I will stick with the known eye wear.

Laurie R. King is doing her writing on line today and I am rather bummed that I have to be out and about and will miss it. I hope it all goes great for her. May all the rest of you have a wonderful day, too, and a special HAPPY BIRTHDAY to my sister, Fran! Wahoo. You made another year! No small feat at our age! love, /

2 comments:

Izzy said...

there is nothing worse than a broken pair of glasses. especially when you don't have a back-up pair and you are miles away from any relief (i.e. japan).

how many paintings do you have? just curious. also, how big are they?

isaac

Vicki Larson said...

well, you'll just have to hurry back to minnesota to see these marvelous paintings of mine. I have no idea how many I have. actually framed and in showing shape, hmmmm, I don't know. I will give it some thought, and I will post them w sizes. The abstracts are usually 22x30 inches. The pears smaller. hmmmm.