Monday, May 01, 2006

May First

This is a day that is celebrated by many as the day for workers. I can remember as a child celebrating it as a day in which I made paper baskets and delivered them to the doors of people I particularly liked. The trick was to leave the basket containing wild flowers on the doorstep, ring the doorbell or knock and then run like mad to prevent their knowing who I was. I have no idea who originated this custom, but I am pretty sure it was wide spread. It seems a sort of bucolic adventure in this day and age when children have to be so careful of their surroundings at all times. They might run right into the arms of the bogey man.

You can tell by how I ended that tale that I am in no mood to be light and cheerful. Our plans to go to Mpls had to be cancelled because of rain. We could not work on the yardwork in the midst of the rainfall, so we stayed home. Even though I was all dressed and rarin' to go. I have yet to get over the disappointment. So I am having a reading marathon which does nothing for my mood. I am trying to come out of it, but so far no dice. The odd thing is that the more depressed I feel the more manic my cheerfulness is to those I encounter. Go figure. Ah, well. We all know that the only predictable thing is change, so my mood will soon change.

Now that I have managed to cheer all of you up, I'll give you a good recipe. Their is some confusion in my mind about who was the originator of the recipe, but here goes. It is GOOD. Also chuck full of calories, I'm sure, to say nothing about the forbidden carbohydrates of my diabetic life. Sigh. Here goes:

Crescent Roll Bars:

1 tube crescent rolls
Spread out in ungreased 9x13 pan and up the sides a little.

Beat really well: 12 oz. cream cheese, 1 cup sugar, 1egg yolk. Put on top of crescent rolls.

Spread out on counter or a board another tube of crescent rolls to make a 9x13 and a little up the sides. Put on top of filling and squeeze the sides together with bottom crust.

Mix together and put on top: 1/4 cup sugar, 1/2 tsp. cinnamon, 3/4 cup chopped walnuts
Bake @ 350 degrees for 30 minutes.

I think there could be interesting varations on this recipe. It is sort of like cheese cake so I would think one could add some sort of berries, or apples or who knows. If any of you try variations, let me know. Both the men and women at our meeting liked it. yum, yum.

No comments: