Tuesday, May 16, 2006

Yippee


I am pumped. I actually got a picture to come up on my blog again. I think the secret is to do it early in my blog search and reading, so that my poor old computer can handle it. Whatever.

This is the photo I took of the pictures at our Mother/Child event. The top part is a photograph taken by a woman who tried to get grants to travel the world taking photos, but finally had to go on her own. This is one from Senegal called "African Queen." We all decided it had pride of place as the most spectacular of the exhibits.

The bottom part is a book opened to a Mother/child painting by the child prodigy painter Akiane. She painted it when she was 11. The book first recounts the story of her life and then the paintings she has painted. The last part of the book is poetry she has written. When I saw the book I realized I had seen her on Oprah when she was featuring remarkable young people. She says that God taught her how to paint. Remarkable - not to say miraculous. She has been videoed painting, so there is no possibility of chicanery. She's the real deal. Fantastic.

I have a busy day ahead of me. First, the gym. Then Art of the Lakes to hear a presentation on the art of Mexico. Then to the Lake Regions Art Council for a reception at a show in which I have a painting. Then, if I am still alive and kicking, back home to my recliner.

I am so happy that Izzy is back posting his blog. I have so missed hearing about life on the other side of the planet. To say nothing about admiring his prose. His blog is http://isaacarnquist.blogspot.com if you want to check him out. I don't know how to do a link, so this will have to do. Welcome back, Izzy.

1 comment:

Izzy said...

thanks for the shout out! keep the art a'comin'! all this talk of art makes me want to take up painting.

adios,
isaac