Wednesday, May 10, 2006

Nero Wolfe III

Okay. Some of you don't share this obsession. Come along for the ride and grab one of the Rex Stout paperbacks and check it out. The novels are being re-issued, so you should have no trouble.

Naomi came up with some interesting choices for playing the characters. She literally gagged at my choices because they were too old. Interesting, they didn't seem too old to me, but I bow to her superior understanding of the concept of "too old." She picked as a possibility Will Smith for Archie, but the drawback to that is the racist attitudes in the 30's through the 50's. He would not have been as acceptable and as invisible as it is necessary to be. Her other choice is Steve Carell, who is presently starring in "The Office" on NBC. I find the character he plays in that piece nauseating so that I have difficulty seeing him playing my hero. So, for me, that role is still open. Any suggestions? Or can you convince me of his brillance?

The choice she has for Nero Wolfe is so great it just blew me away! Phillip Seymour Hoffman! Isn't that great? Wow. He just got the Oscar for his portrayal of Truman Capote. Hard to think of two characters more disparate than Nero Wolfe and Truman Capote, but they are both geniuses in their separate ways. Right on with the idea. He could even give the feeling of being overweight without being grotesque. I am very in favor. Wow.

Well, off to my day. Rainy and cold today. I'm taking a trip to Alexandria in search of some sculpture for our Mother/Child tea on Saturday at the Coffeehouse Art Center in Evansville. We should have a great time. The art is a collection of paintings, etc. of mothers with children. Prints, batiks, paintings, and - hopefully - sculpture. Should be a wonderful eclectic bunch of art work. If you're in the neighborhood, drop in. The tea is Saturday at 10 and at 2, but you could come any Friday and Saturday from 10 to 3 to see it. It should be fun.

Have a great chilly day!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I think Steve Carell could pull it off. He's a really good actor and can play other roles besides "nauseating". However I am not convinced about him either... any other ideas? Brad Pitt? Don Cheadle? (I know, I know, the race thing...) Owen Wilson or Luke Wilson!!!!!! I think we may have it folks!!! My vote is for Owen Wilson and Philip Seymour Hoffman.